Kricket Stomp
Welcome or welcome back to Kricket Stomp! Don't forget to log-in or sign up!

Nintendo 3DS Gets Sudden, Massive Price Drop

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Nintendo 3DS Gets Sudden, Massive Price Drop

Post  Valentine on Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:55 am

http://kotaku.com/5825495/nintendo-3ds-gets-sudden-massive-price-drop

This is making the 3DS a more viable gift for the Holidays, imo. But the part that really interests me:

"In addition to the price cut for new consumers, those who bought/buy a 3DS before the August 12 markdown will be able to download 20 free games from the 3DS eShop. That offer comes in the form of ten NES Virtual Console games (including classics like Zelda and Super Mario Bros.), which will be available after September 1, and ten Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games (like Yoshi's Island and Metroid Fusion), which will be available a little later."

I hope these 10 NES and 10 GBA games are actually games I don't have. >.> 'Cause I own all of those in some way.

Valentine
Kricket Regular
Kricket Regular

Back to top Go down

Re: Nintendo 3DS Gets Sudden, Massive Price Drop

Post  Adminassassin on Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:15 pm

It definately makes it more enticing for me, but I still won't be getting it until there's a must-have game (ports/remakes don't count, for one) or the revision/Lite model comes out.

Adminassassin
Admin

http://www.backloggery.com/objection

Back to top Go down

Post  Terra on Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:34 pm

Buying it early looks to have been a wiser decision now. Looks like those NES games will mostly be one's I already own but the GBA seems a different story so far

Terra
Kricket Master
Kricket Master

Back to top Go down

Post  Starlight on Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:24 pm

What if you already own most of those on the VC and GBA? D:

Starlight
Kricket Frequenter
Kricket Frequenter

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony on Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:58 pm

Still not getting one. Even if one of the VGBA games are Fire Emblem Fuuin No Tsurugi. (The one with Roy)

Tony
Kricket Elder
Kricket Elder

Back to top Go down

Post  Adminassassin on Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:49 am

wow, as much as I give Nintendo crap (for good reasons imo) they did something pretty noble.
i wish American companies would do the same.
their top 3 CEOs/Directors took a 30-50% pay cut in response to lower sales instead of having the company lay people off
and their top people only get paid around $1-2mil (lol, compared to our CEOs)

Last edited by Adminassassin on Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Adminassassin
Admin

http://www.backloggery.com/objection

Back to top Go down

Post  Valentine on Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:36 am

Wow, that is noble. I wish my company would do that. We're all making less commission because the CEOs want to pander to stocks, but they won't take a cut for us... Anyway!

IMO, 20 free games is nice, but like someone said... I, personally, probably already own most of what they'll offer. And if you're not the most honest person, you can emulate NES and GBA games for free. But still. The gesture is welcoming. When I heard there was a price drop, my immediate reaction was "and this will probably mean that I should have just gotten a 360 and waited for the 3DS to pump out good, original games."

And here comes my rant on game companies as of late: These really expensive, tech'd out systems aren't going to sell for the price they think they're worth. I don't think terribly many people are going to listen to the, "but this system is so much nicer, and it costs way more to produce to have this superior technology" story atm. In case nobody has noticed, but every other market indicates that we're in a depression at least in the States. Over-priced systems don't sell well regardless of what gimmick they featured. Especially these no-game systems.

Last edited by Valentine on Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:37 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Valentine
Kricket Regular
Kricket Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Valentine on Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:42 am

http://www.spike.com/articles/m531v2/the-3ds-has-bombed-so-badly-nintendos-ceo-is-taking-a-50-pay-cut

Another result of recent sales on the 3DS: Iwata and other executives take pay cuts! (as mentioned by Admin)

So, is the system flopping or does Nintendo have the titles to keep it afloat?

The only big titles that I'm aware from now until the holidays is Star Fox 64, Super Mario 3D Land, Kid Icarus Uprising, Sonic Generations (non-exclusive), Mario Kart.

Valentine
Kricket Regular
Kricket Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Terra on Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:26 pm

Like you both were saying, they don't even have that big a salary to begin with (At least, compared to American execs) so I was surprised to see that part in particular. It's certainly quite bold of Nintendo, I pray it pays off.

Terra
Kricket Master
Kricket Master

Back to top Go down

Post  Valentine on Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:13 am

Nintendo released more info clarifying the Ambassador program. I like this comment that the article garnered though:

"How about some love to the REAL Ambassadors...the ones that actually bought the 3DS when it was $250.00 instead of some people actually getting the price drop AND the free games.

This Ambassador program is a complete joke."

I, also, can't help but notice that those who actually paid 250 for the system are still kinda getting shafted. This appears to be more of a marketing tactic to generate sales than a reward program. heh

"Target and Walmart already dropped their prices so now people can buy it for $170 and get the free games.../sigh"

A good tip for anyone who was planning to exploit the Ambassador program for the lowest price possible.

Valentine
Kricket Regular
Kricket Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Terra on Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:46 am

Of course it's a marketing tactic, they are a business above anything else and they want to leave as positive an impression as possible.

For those who got the 3DS cheap before the deadline, good for them, it's a smart move. It might annoy some people who bought the 3DS at launch but I'm not bothered by it because I know I would've done the exact same thing.

Terra
Kricket Master
Kricket Master

Back to top Go down

Post  soaring_wings on Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:48 am

I've always liked Nintendo of Japan as a company. Iwata seems like a smart person and the pay cuts just make me respect him and Nintendo more. I've said this to a few others on BL, but I'll mention it again. An early adopter is usually going to get "shafted" in some form. Price drops or newer better models. I knew one of those was waiting for me when I bought the 3DS at 250 so I'm not really bitter about this like some people. It's kind of the trade off: get the system asap or wait it out for a better deal. I usually wait it out because I know better but with the move to Poland and the 3DS being region locked, I went ahead and got one. In the end, it'll probably come out cheaper that way too (importing fees and conversion rates).

soaring_wings
Kricket Elder
Kricket Elder

http://backloggery.com/soaring_wings

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:48 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top