Kricket Stomp
Welcome or welcome back to Kricket Stomp! Don't forget to log-in or sign up!

"Importing/Reasons not to localize a game" Discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down

"Importing/Reasons not to localize a game" Discussion

Post  Starlight on Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:37 am

It's a taboo subject I guess....

I have only ever imported one game and that was to experience what it's like.

Needless to say....it's a special experience which should only be taken into account for games you WANT!

Apparently, European game collectors have always been at it (since the NES era), and Operation Rainfall does bring to light that maybe American gamers aren't used to it as much as Europeans.

I agree that the games should be available everywhere and I don't buy the "We need to make profit there" bullcrap...music has ALWAYS been universal Disc wise and there are examples of bands like Rammstein being bought the world over because they have a small set of fans in other places and it doesn't bite into their profit at all.

Why are gaming companies finding it so hard to localize cult games when films and music can theoretically be bought no matter where you are? (I will agree that Japanese films are hard to come by without subtitles and the fact that DVDs have now the stupid region locking that games have had for so long).

This isn't just about profit sometimes.....this is about getting out there and BEING a recognizable company....did SEGA think that Sonic wouldn't sell when he was first released? OF COURSE THEY DID! What about Nintendo's Super Mario Bros? Or Zelda? Why did these games sell? Because they took a risk...plus they put their name out there.

A very famous example is Square Enix....for some reason they never sold a Final Fantasy game in Europe prior to VII....why was that? They didn't think it would sell? Oh...what's this? We get Terranigma, Mystic Quest and a few other titles....why did VII succeed? It was a great game (although overrated), but they established themselves with those lesser known games....and what has happened now? The FF forums have more EU based fans then in the US! (nothing against the American fans by the way....the fanbase just exploded in Europe)

Now, on a recent example...ATLUS became well known lately through a spin off of their main franchise....they took a risk!

So now that's out of the way....how do you feel about importing and do you think they should just release games that take risks if the quality is there and let untranslated games be sold worldwide? not everyone will buy a untranslated game....but if the consoles were region free, they may see an inkling of how the game could potentially sell through their natives living abroad.

As an extra note, Xenoblade should sell by the first section of the name alone (Xenogears anyone?)

Just noticed another stupid thing about region locking...some programmer has to get PAID to region lock the thing....it would cost less to not let him do that as well...

Discuss!

Starlight
Kricket Frequenter
Kricket Frequenter

Back to top Go down

Re: "Importing/Reasons not to localize a game" Discussion

Post  Adminassassin on Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:14 pm

Importing is the way to go, when possible.
I've imported a few games, mostly ones that are light on foreign language and of course, on region-free systems.
Case examples:
Meccha! Taiko no Tastujin: 7-tsu...yadda bladda blah blah
Taiko Drum Master DS 2, none of the gameplay needs explaining and little in the story mode will require a walkthrough.

Jump! Superstars
Very language heavy but there are some great full-walkthroughs for the non-Moonspeaking people out there.

Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
Full English patch available for free! I get the best of both worlds, supporting the creators with a Japanese copy/download and don't have to deal with a NA company ----ing things up.

WHY THIS DOESNT APPLY TO THE WHOLE WII THING:
A considerable amount of people on sites will say "well just import it and stop complaining."
There are 2 main reasons why these people should go back to playing on train tracks instead of trying to converse, as they are likely better at the first.
1) Region-locking. The Wii has it. The 360 has it. The 3DS has it and so will the Wii U. (No word on the Playstation Fore or Sexbox720) It's not reasonable to pay hundreds of dollars for a foreign console to play a few games, especially if they still fall into the next barrier.
2) Not translated. Sorry, but I'm your typical American. I can speak English only (but can pretend to/swear in a few others) and I can't play a JRPG with walls of text or hours of cutscenes in another language.

SOLUTION:
Either companies that own the rights (cough, Nintendo) should sell the publishing to a company willing to do it (cough, ATLUS, Xseed, etc) release it in a minimalistic way to appease fans (limited run, limited translation such as only subs) or they should make their systems region-free. They're not gonna loose money that way. It's not like I'm gonna buy a Japanese copy of Skyward Sword over an American one, unless we weren't getting it.

Not the best example (for several reasons) but you get what I'm driving at.

Adminassassin
Admin

http://www.backloggery.com/objection

Back to top Go down

Post  Starlight on Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:11 pm

Adminassassin wrote:Importing is the way to go, when possible.

WHY THIS DOESNT APPLY TO THE WHOLE WII THING:
A considerable amount of people on sites will say "well just import it and stop complaining."
There are 2 main reasons why these people should go back to playing on train tracks instead of trying to converse, as they are likely better at the first.
1) Region-locking. The Wii has it. The 360 has it. The 3DS has it and so will the Wii U. (No word on the Playstation Fore or Sexbox720) It's not reasonable to pay hundreds of dollars for a foreign console to play a few games, especially if they still fall into the next barrier.
2) Not translated. Sorry, but I'm your typical American. I can speak English only (but can pretend to/swear in a few others) and I can't play a JRPG with walls of text or hours of cutscenes in another language.

SOLUTION:
Either companies that own the rights (cough, Nintendo) should sell the publishing to a company willing to do it (cough, ATLUS, Xseed, etc) release it in a minimalistic way to appease fans (limited run, limited translation such as only subs) or they should make their systems region-free. They're not gonna loose money that way. It's not like I'm gonna buy a Japanese copy of Skyward Sword over an American one, unless we weren't getting it.

Not the best example (for several reasons) but you get what I'm driving at.

I do like importing, but I wish it is less needed then it already is...especially with US/English speaking countries that have no need to import from each other.

The 360 isn't region locked....that decision is up the developers....unfortunately, many Japanese companies seem to want to region lock their games...although you have CAVE that don't as well as SEGA's Virtual On: Force (The Asian Version is RF), but I get annoyed moreso that the Japanese companies would do that when the 360 doesn't sell in their home region....it's not like they'll lose money if they allowed it to be region free. (Deathsmiles was so cheap on Amazon UK too!)

I believe the limited copies option would work swell....since Nintendo know how to do that kind of stuff with their DS Cartridge Stock Control. Although being region free would help the Japanese greatly since if we bought a game from Japan, the payment means we technically paid Japanese Tax, thus we are making them richer without going through the hoops of say, them localizing it and the tax goes to "x" country....if they want a perfect example of why letting foreign customers pay for their goods from their country is a good idea would be to look at the UK Tax Breaks which have been refused by the government for Game Developers here....no wonder the developers here are shutting down....Tax Breaks means that the Government make the country poorer due to not allowing the Developers to get their money from their work...thus they move elsewhere...where they WOULD get a Tax Break and in return, that country gets the taxes from the sales.

Starlight
Kricket Frequenter
Kricket Frequenter

Back to top Go down

Post  soaring_wings on Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:36 am

Just putting this out there:

Region-locking consoles is about making money off the consoles, which are usually by far the more lucrative business. Otherwise Japanese and European gamers will just import American consoles and buy the games from their region. Prices are not converted based on currency rates. The DS was 150$ USD, CAN, EURO, etc. (just as the 3DS's original price was 250$ USD, CAN, EURO, and yen*) even though each of these currencies has a different value. So in a sense, it's about ripping Europe off. Something similar happened with anime DVDs, since these used to have Japanese language feature, a lot of Japanese fans started importing from America because anime in Japan is crazy expensive. So the language features were axed** and DVDs were locked.

*Before the massive dive of the American dollar, the yen to dollar conversion was roughly 100 = 1 USD. The 3DS launched at 25000 yen aka 250 USD prior to the drop but now 300 thanks to current currency rates.

**In most mainstream anime distributors

soaring_wings
Kricket Elder
Kricket Elder

http://backloggery.com/soaring_wings

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top