Kricket Stomp
Welcome or welcome back to Kricket Stomp! Don't forget to log-in or sign up!

Is animation worse than live action?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Is animation worse than live action?

Post  AmericasNextTopModel on Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:40 pm

I have noticed that a lot of good animated movies have been generally viewed as if they were not as "good" as live action. This is done a lot in award shows as well. At least this year Up got a lot of recognition. What is your opinion on the matter?

AmericasNextTopModel
Kricket Inductee
Kricket Inductee

Back to top Go down

Re: Is animation worse than live action?

Post  Super Smash Bros. Fan on Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:44 pm

No way, they are not worse then live-action. For me, I would call it bias.

Me, I personally prefer animated movies to live-action movies. Now don't get me wrong, there has been many brillant live-action movies like Titanic, but The Lion King is my all-time favorite movie and it was my first movie.

I really do think that they should make an award ceremony like the Academy Award, only dedicated towards animated movies.

Super Smash Bros. Fan
Kricket Frequenter
Kricket Frequenter

Back to top Go down

Interesting question...

Post  Adminassassin on Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:26 pm

The United States doesn't really value traditional animation anymore. Most of the country is lusting after special effects driven flicks done in 3D.

(I don't consider CGI animation quite in the same category, so it's very tellign when we have had roughly 2 traditional animation films in the last year, Princess and the Frog, and Ponyo.)

However, if we're talking about adapations from graphic novels/manga, they very rarely transfer well to live action because the source is too improbable and the effcts can't do it justice, while animation/anime usually fits the style better.

Adminassassin
Admin

http://www.backloggery.com/objection

Back to top Go down

Post  Super Smash Bros. Fan on Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:46 pm

Adminassassin wrote:However, if we're talking about adapations from graphic novels/manga, they very rarely transfer well to live action because the source is too improbable and the effcts can't do it justice, while animation/anime usually fits the style better.

Does this reminds you of Dragonball during April, 2009? (I heard that basically everyone hated the movie)

Super Smash Bros. Fan
Kricket Frequenter
Kricket Frequenter

Back to top Go down

Post  kowwmann on Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:55 pm

*cough* yes *cough*

kowwmann
Kricket Frequenter
Kricket Frequenter

http://www.backloggery.com/main.php?user=kowwmann

Back to top Go down

Post  Endgame on Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:59 am

Do not speak of that movie, its is forbidden.

The hilarious way DRRRAAAGGGOOONNNNN is said however is not.

Endgame
Kricket Inductee
Kricket Inductee

Back to top Go down

Here's an exception though

Post  Adminassassin on Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:53 pm

FUNimation put out Basilisk (anime series) and Shinobi (live-action movie) which are both based on the same Japanese myth/legend/history of 2 rival ninja clans. I felt that both versiosn were successful in their own ways. Give them a look if you can.

Adminassassin
Admin

http://www.backloggery.com/objection

Back to top Go down

The real question...

Post  Guest on Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:27 pm

Japanese animation or American animation?

LittleKuriboh has taught me it's the former, and that's what I hold to. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Terra on Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:21 pm

I don't judge films by whether they're animated or live action, most of the time (Barring say, bad animation or technical issues). I find it ridiculous when people judge based on that alone. They're missing out big time

Terra
Kricket Master
Kricket Master

Back to top Go down

Post  soaring_wings on Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:31 pm

I agree with everyone, there seems to be a shunning of animation in North America, often categorizing it as childish. Which is stupid, but hey, people think lots of stupid things. I don't really recall too many western animated films (outside of Disney) that I really liked. Sad
I do recall watching a few as a child that weren't Disney, but still remained "child-aimed" like Thumbelina and The Swan Princess. But the only ones I really liked were either Japanese (Studio Ghibli - Kiki and Laputa aka Castle in the Sky) or animated in Japan (The Last Unicorn).

Adminassassin wrote:
However, if we're talking about adapations from graphic novels/manga, they very rarely transfer well to live action because the source is too improbable and the effcts can't do it justice, while animation/anime usually fits the style better.

That's true. the only Japanese live-actions that were actually good were those based around a "real life" story, aka romance. I really liked the live action of Hana Yori Dango and there is one more based on a josei work that I liked (never read the manga for that one) but the name escapes me atm.
I also thought the Sailor Moon live action was pretty good with hilarious special effects. xD Story was a bit messed up though.
Spoiler:
with Princess Serenity trying to destroy the Earth by possessing Usagi because Endymion was taken from her by Beryl. O__o

Super Smash Bros. Fan wrote:Does this reminds you of Dragonball during April, 2009? (I heard that basically everyone hated the movie)
Are you referring to Evolution, the American made one? I never saw it, but I did see people bemoaning how horrible it was when it was announced the same people who made it would be making one based on Bleach. o__O

soaring_wings
Kricket Elder
Kricket Elder

http://backloggery.com/soaring_wings

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:49 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top