Kricket Stomp
Welcome or welcome back to Kricket Stomp! Don't forget to log-in or sign up!

I don't think misery loves company after all :|

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I don't think misery loves company after all :|

Post  Axoloth on Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:56 am

I've been feeling blue, and since misery loves company I've been reading on the webz about other people who's feeling blue, 'cause I thought it would cheer me up a bit in that schadenfreude way.
It didn't. Neutral

Reading/hearing about other people's happiness doesn't really help either (unless those people are someone I care about and whom I know deserves it), but I think that proverb only refers to a bit more shallow unhappiness, or whatever you wanna call it. If me and my brother gets some ice cream, and I drop mine on the ground, I admit it makes me feel a bit better if he drops his own ice cream. (I'm such a jerk, I know Neutral) But if my dog died, I certainly wouldn't want my friend's dog to die, that wouldn't make me feel better at all. Sad

Yeah, I get a bit philosophical when I'm feeling down. Razz
Anyway, what are your thoughts on the matter? Deep philosophical discussion go~

Axoloth
Kricket Inductee
Kricket Inductee

http://www.backloggery.com/axoloth

Back to top Go down

Re: I don't think misery loves company after all :|

Post  Adminassassin on Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:46 am

You used some good examples but I think the only real way to counter sadness is to make efforts to put some happiness in your life. Have an ice cream or break into your friend's house and steal their furry critter to pet for a few hours (not really, but you get the point.)

Adminassassin
Admin

http://www.backloggery.com/objection

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr_Wilder on Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:41 pm

Adminassassin wrote:You used some good examples but I think the only real way to counter sadness is to make efforts to put some happiness in your life. Have an ice cream or break into your friend's house and steal their furry critter to pet for a few hours (not really, but you get the point.)

Yeah, when are you gonna give me my dog back, by the way?

Dr_Wilder
Kricket Noobie
Kricket Noobie

http://www.youtube.com/therealdrwilder

Back to top Go down

Post  Adminassassin on Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:50 pm

<.< what dog? >.>

Adminassassin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Donth8 on Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:44 pm

To me, life is good.

Donth8
Kricket Elder
Kricket Elder

http://backloggery.com/donth8theplaya

Back to top Go down

Post  Terra on Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:13 pm

I get depressed from time to time, my social life could be a lot better. And I don't feel much better when I see others talking about how much fun they had with their friends, as it just compounds the lonely feeling for me.

But then I think that it could be a lot worse, It pains me a lot when I see homeless people. If I'm miserable, I wouldn't wish it upon most people (barring those I really hate and under the circumstances, they deserve it). Life is generally good for me, I live between two great homes (Parents Divorced but unusally, they've been on good terms even after the divorce) and I have lots of nice things as well so like I said, it could be a lot worse. I'm not particularly looking forward to when I'm older though, it's like they say, School years are the best years you'll ever have (Or something like that).

Terra
Kricket Master
Kricket Master

Back to top Go down

Post  soaring_wings on Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:12 pm

Terra wrote:I get depressed from time to time, my social life could be a lot better. And I don't feel much better when I see others talking about how much fun they had with their friends, as it just compounds the lonely feeling for me.

Oh, I hate that. It's the worst, especially if you missed some social gathering and people just won't shut up about it. It's almost as if they are rubbing it in your face. Thankfully, I've got a few good friends, who are more sensitive about these things, and I go to them to hang out if I'm feeling down. Although, usually I do something else and that's my number one recommendation.

My number one recommendation: Activities. Find some sport/activity that you really like and that makes you sweat. Whenever you're angry or depressed go do it, makes my mood better right after I do it. This is biking for me. Every time I'm feeling a bit under the weather (not depressed per say), I take out my bike and go crazy. It really improves my mood a lot and makes me feel more energized.

That or I just ignore my mood. Yeah, I know I'm weird, but for me, my mood usually improves if I take my mind off it. So I either read, or watch. But then again, I'm probably not depressed and just feeling a bit melancholic. Sorry if I'm not much help. ^^;;;;

soaring_wings
Kricket Elder
Kricket Elder

http://backloggery.com/soaring_wings

Back to top Go down

Post  Terra on Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:26 pm

It's not so easy for me to just go hang out with a few friends. I don't know If I've mentioned it on here but I have Aspergers syndrome. It's really frustrating at times as I want to be more sociable but I have great difficulty. I don't have that large a number of friends either, as I prefer to have more close friends than I do lots of one's who I don't know too well and sometimes, I just can't speak to people at all, I freeze. I'm realy glad that Social networking has come along like it has, otherwise some people I'd never speak to at all anymore.

And with that rubbing in your face feeling, I know exactly what you mean. It does feel like that sometimes but I don't get invited to a lot of stuff anyway, as like I said above, I don't have a huge number of friends. But with you recommendation of doing something else, I often go down to the local Gym and do stuff like Exercise Bikes and Treadmills or Swimming. I'm often there for a couple of hours when I have no college during the day and that takes my mind off things. I always cycle down there as well so I usually do that. I have a number of other hobbies as well and interests, one's that I need to develop further perhaps but I do try.

Maybe it's not so much Depression for me, but rather just feeling lonely. I'm lucky that I have a Brother and Sister so I'm rarely lonely at home. And you were helpful, thanks. Smile

Terra
Kricket Master
Kricket Master

Back to top Go down

Post  Adminassassin on Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:08 pm

Terra wrote:It's not so easy for me to just go hang out with a few friends. I don't have that large a number of friends either, as I prefer to have more close friends than I do lots of one's who I don't know too well

I'm quite similar. I have a few close friends and then some "light" friends and acquantances in what I call "a circle of friends." I have two main "circle of friends" and they don't often overlap. I've made some "light" friends in my first year of college but no real close ones yet. So I can at least partially identify here.

Adminassassin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  soaring_wings on Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:40 pm

Adminassassin wrote:I'm quite similar. I have a few close friends and then some "light" friends and acquantances in what I call "a circle of friends." I have two main "circle of friends" and they don't often overlap. I've made some "light" friends in my first year of college but no real close ones yet. So I can at least partially identify here.

Yeah, I'm about the same. I have 4 really close friends and then I have a bunch of 'acquaintance friends', and even more people, who I know. Most people tend to move between the acquaintance friend group to and from the acquaintance group. But there are times when I get to know an acquaintance friend better and they become a close friend. I don't really have problems talking to people or making friends, but I do have a hard time developing a strong bond with people. I guess it's because I tend to be very sporadic and don't really plan get-togethers, which makes it hard for me to continue bonding with people I already know, while creating a lot more new acquaintances. I guess that's an area where I need to try harder to improve. xD

soaring_wings
Kricket Elder
Kricket Elder

http://backloggery.com/soaring_wings

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top